BREC Asking Customers to Conserve Electricity
Due to extreme and extended cold temperatures, Missouri’s electric cooperative system and many utilities throughout the region continue to exceed all-time electricity demand. We are urging all BREC members to reduce their impact on the grid by safely reducing electricity use as much as possible. High power consumption levels across the grid have the potential to cause intermittent service disruptions.
Taking steps to decrease your power usage at this time will help while we navigate this extreme weather event. Associated Electric Cooperative (AECI), the power supplier for Missouri’s electric cooperatives is anticipating this emergency to last through Friday, February 19th. We appreciate your cooperation in this most extreme situation.
Tips to help reduce power usage:
- Turn down your thermostat a 2-3 degrees and use a blanket or warm clothing to help conserve electricity and stay warm.
- Limit the use of larger appliances such as laundry or dishwashers.
- Use smaller kitchen appliances like toaster ovens, microwaves and slow cookers to make meals, rather than relying on your range or oven.
- Be sure to turn off and unplug space heaters that you don’t need to use. If you must use them, please reduce as much as possible.
- Keep fireplace dampers closed when not in use.
- Unplug/turn off unused electronics, chargers, and lights.
BREC is a member-owned, not for profit electric utility serving more than 24,000 members in ten southeast Missouri counties.