Skip to content

VFW Post 6660 Newsletter

Randle Tolliver, Quartermaster / Adjutant  / Post-6660

For veterans in crisis, the Veterans Crisis Line’s number—988 then press “1” or 1-800-273-8255 and press “1”.

For homebound veteran’s requiring assistance, please contact Jay Parks at (573) 689-1477, Randy Tolliver at (573) 924-2382, or Scott Rosen at (573) 466-9188.

VFW Auxiliary will meet at 1 P.M. on 15 October at the Donald L. Cook / Billy J. Swyres Memorial Veterans Center in Centerville.

The next post meeting will be 2 P.M on 16 October at the same location.

We had a great time at the Reynolds County Fair and talked with lots of folks.  Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! 

To those who care for a disabled veteran, God bless you. If you are a caregiver needing help, or are concerned about one, one resource is the VA‘s Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PFAFC). Services available in this program include:

Adult Day Health Care (ADHC) Centers provide a safe, active and supervised environment for veterans to get out of the home, participate in activities and socialize with other veterans. This gives the caregiver some “me” time.    

Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC) provides routine health care services, including in-home when required. HBPC provides primary care and nursing, medication management, and helping with meals. It can also include physical rehabilitation, mental health care, and social work. 

Skilled Home Care provides a medical professional who comes to your home for homebound veterans.  This includes basic nursing services and physical, occupational, or speech therapies. The Skilled Home Care service is similar to HBPC, but it involves VA purchasing care for a veteran from a licensed non-VA professional.

The Homemaker and Home Health Aide Program helps with personal care needs such as feeding and bathing.  The local VA medical center (VAMC) can help arrange for a home health aide who will come to your home regularly, allowing the caregiver time to take care of other issues.

The Home Tele-health program gives the caregiver access to a care coordinator by telephone or the internet.  The program is for folks who live a distance from a VAMC.  Home Tele-health also includes education and training or online and telephone support groups.

Respite Care for up to 30 days per year. The care in a variety of settings including at your home or through temporary placement of a veteran at a VA Community Living Center, a VA contracted Community Residential Care Facility, or an Adult Day Health Care Center.  Respite care may also be authorized emergencies such as the caregiver’s hospitalization or a family emergency.

Home Hospice Care offers comfort and supportive services for you and the veteran during the advanced stages of a terminal disease, an interdisciplinary team of health care providers and volunteers from a local community hospice agency provide the services during this time.

For more information, contact the VAMC Poplar Bluff Caregiver Support Coordinator at 573-686-4151 ext. 52149 / 59118 or .

Its flu season again! Veterans in the VA health care system can receive free flu vaccinations through the Community Care Network in-network retail pharmacies and urgent care partners. Just present a valid, government-issued ID.  To confirm your eligibility call the VA Medical Center in Poplar Bluff, at (573) 686-4151 or call 844-MyVA311 (844-698-2311), select 1 and then select 1 again.  For locations, see .

Please continue to support including the “Major Richard Star Act” in the FY23 Nation Defense Authorization Act.  This would allow combat-disabled retirees to receive, without reduction, veterans› disability compensation and retired pay or combat-related special compensation. Also, please support the “The Afghan Adjustment Act (H.R. 8685/S.4787)” to help Afghans who, at great personal risk to them and their families, served with us as interpreters, and evacuated during the fall Kabul.  Please call and/or write: Senator Josh Hawley, 115 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington D.C. 20510/(202) 224-6154, Senator Roy Blunt, 260 Russell Senate Office Building Washington, D.C. 20510/(202) 224-5721, or Congressman Jason Smith, P.O. Box 4707 Poplar Bluff, MO 63902 / (573) 609-2996.

Our annual educational awards programs, Teacher of the Year, Patriot’s Pen, and Voice of Democracy are underway.  Patriot’s Pen is open to 6th, 7th and 8th grade students and this year’s theme is “My Pledge to Our Veterans”. The Voice of Democracy audio-essay is open to students in grades 9-12 and this year’s theme is “Why is the Veteran Important?”  Home schooled students are welcome to participate. Our Teacher of the Year program recognizes teachers who promote civic responsibility, patriotism and help students develop a better understanding of American values and beliefs.  For more information, please contact Dr. Charles Laramore at (573) 637-2112, Jay Parks or Randy Tolliver.   

Regarding the Camp LeJeune water issue, lawsuits are authorized by section 804 of the PACT ACT (“Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022”). Although lawyers are trying to sign up clients for large lawsuits, the VFW Veterans Service office recommends veterans not to join a lawsuit until the VA clarifies how the settlements will affect service-connected benefits and care.  For more information, please contact the VFW VSO, Jim Juergens at the Poplar Bluff VAMC at, or (573) 778-4614.

Now for a few reminders:

For more for information concerning local VA health care call the Poplar Bluff VAMC at (573) 686-4151 or

The VA one-stop telephone number is 1-800-698-2411 and press “0” to reach a live agent for immediate assistance. The VA one stop website is Home | Veterans Affairs .

The Missouri Veterans Commission (MVC) one-stop Benefits and Resource Portal is or call (573) 522-4061.

To order military service documents such as a DD 214/Separation Document or Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), contact the National Archives, National Personnel Records Center at, or call (866) 272-6272.

For more information, contact Jay Parks, Randy Tolliver, or Heather King at (573) 330-1020, or email , or go to

“Here to Serve”

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous on October 5, 2022 at 9:24 pm

    I was so sorry to hear of my cousin, Raymond Evans, passing. I would like to send a donation in his honor.
    Can you please email me an address where it should be sent.
    Thank you,
    Diana Bright

Leave a Comment